Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My printer does not work on my windows 10, it used to so I

Customer Question

My printer does not work on my windows 10, it used to so I decided to look into it a bit more and under the device manager I couldn't find anything that even references printers or scanners. I went on to check my services.msc and found the Printer Spooler is not on but is set to startup type 'automatic'. I right clicked it and selected 'start' but an error message says:"Windows could not start the Printer Spooler service on local computer. Error: 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Startup type 'Auto' for a Print Spooler service is perfectly normal.

The real question is: what shows up about the printer in

Start

Control Panel

View Devices and Printers (under 'Hardware').

A dependency failure of your print spooler might mean that you have another service that has failed or has not been started... I am researching that and will get back to you with any further details you may need to know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The printer/scanner does not even show on there now. It used to come up in a light grey if not connected, even after it started playing up, so the device vanishing from the devices and printers screen is a new thing.

I see. That's probably, or possibly, owing to the Print Spooler service having failed.

Have you opened the Print Spooler service and tried to START the service again? I advise trying that.

If you need me to remote control your computer as you watch, and show you how that is done, and another adjustment of the Print Spooler service, I can do that for you.