Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Lexmark printer C544n; toner colour spreads over pages of

Lexmark printer C544n; toner colour spreads over pages of documents that should be in black & white only, with high usage of magenta toner. How do I stop this wastage?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The answer to your question must depend upon exactly what is happening on the pages that are printed, and also, on what you are printing from, with what settings.

(If you could scan, and add to your response, a page showing the problem, that would help me understand much better, very quickly.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost all the printer's output has light vertical streaks of colour down the page, especially word processing output.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Does that model make photocopies?

If so, please photocopy 2 (two) blank sheets of paper. What colors are streaking onto the photocopies made of the blank sheets ?

And does the second photocopy have less color streaks than the first?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have scanned and printed on three copies and each time the colour is the same. There is the same faint colour on each, no clearer or reduction of colour. Streaks of yellow down the page and streaks of magenta down the right hand margin. Although they were prints from copier scans it is same for printed word processing.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. It appears that you have leaking toner cartridges.

This is especially likely, if you have been using cheap, or remanufactured, or refilled, toner cartridges in this printer.

I advise replacing one of the two colors affecting printouts... the Magenta toner cartridge, or the Yellow toner cartridge. See if that fixes the streaks of the corresponding color, if it does, replace the other one also.

(And if the one color replacement does not fix the problem for at least that color, you have saved on the cost of the second replacement by not replacing both at once.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.