Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have a Canon MX 395 printer which has been operating OK

I have a Canon MX 395 printer which has been operating OK but now texts "1495 Check black ink cartridge" I have done this over and over again and have tried a brand new 540XL cartridge which makes no difference. The message remains and I cannot find an option that allowes me to continue printing. Advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ken Randall
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The printer has indeed started printing but I am expecting it to only perform for a short while as this has happened before, may I please return to you if the MX395 fails again?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

No problem at all, I have marked this question to never close so if it fails again at any time you can message me here about it.

I ask though that you for now please rate my service via one of the stars at the top if the screen then submit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has already returned "1401Check Ink Col Black", now I cannot do anything again!
Sincerely,
Ken
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, can you remove the black ink cartridge please

Then power it off.

Then use a Cotton bud with cleaning alcohol or warm water if you have none, to clean out the area where the ink cartridge goes in

Once done, wait 10 minutes then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it now works please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will do this for you but have to leave home for an appointment so shall attend to the task on my return, please keep our connection as mentioned before.
See you soon!!
ken
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely no luck, I have tried to clean the area where the black cartridge goes and there was much ink splashed about. After several attempts it still says 1401 Check Ink Col Black and will bot allow any progress at all. I have substituted a brand new Canon Cartridge and it will not accept this either. I shall be away Friday am until Monday pm.
Sincerely,
Ken
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

It is the internal printhead that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering