Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I Have a Canon printer MP620 Series and there is an error

Customer Question

I Have a Canon printer MP620 Series and there is an error message saying that a printing error has occurred with B200 above it. Can you tell me what the problem is. Thank you
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is a severe error, and sometimes happens after a paper jam, or after use of defective/second-rate/knockoff ink cartridges.

Examine the interior of the printer. Remove any debris found. Paper, scraps, fluff, loose parts fallen off their mountings, paperclips, etc... remove any and all of those.

Fold a paper towel over four times, remove the cartridges one by one without touching their copper-colored contacts nor their inky undersides, and place them on their sides on the folded paper towel.

Turn the printer Off for 4 to 8 minutes, unplugged from the power.

Close the printer's covers etc. over the empty cartridges, as if they were there and as if for normal operation.

After that interval (not too long lest the cartridges dry out) turn the printer On, and wait for it to initialize, and show an error message. Then put in one ink cartridge only, close up the printer again, and wait again for the printer to either show an error B200 (or other) again, or to complain about missing cartridge(s).... and put the next cartridge, one only, in the printer, close up, wait, etc.... until either one cartridge added brings up the B200 error again, or until (amazingly, in some cases) the B200 error does not come up and this all gets the printer working again.

If that does not improve matters at all, then tell me more - what cartridges you are using, whether they are Canon OEM original or not, how old the printer is, what cartridge was replaced recently, whether the printer suffered a paper jam or other notable event before this error occurred, etc., and I will advise you further as to what to do.

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried all the things you have mentioned,but each time it showed the B200 error message. I have not been using canon ink cartridges, but the ones I use have been very good. the printer is seven years old. I have had a couple of paper jams recently and have cleared them okay. The error B200 message appeared once before, about a week ago but I seemed to clear it some how. Just switching it on and off, but not this time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any thing else i can try.

What ink cartridges have you indeed been using, if not Canon OEM-original ? this could be a vital point, especially if the previous B200 error occurrence happened when those cartridges were used, also.

Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ink cartridges that I have been using for sometime now are Non-OEM compatible Canon Pixma MP620 series (520/521) Chipped and ready to use. That is all I know. Hope this is of some help.

B200 error is an error regarding recognition of cartridges.

You may have to spend the additional money needed to replace the 'compatible' (and I emphasize the quotes... their compatibility is often dubious, as you yourself may come to see in this case) cartridges with regular Canon OEM-original cartridges.

If you have the time and wish to not pay all the money for a full set, you could just buy one... try it... see if it happens to be the crucial cartridge (only one of them, perhaps, is having troubles) and so forth.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Russell H. Before buying Canon OEM- original cartridges I tried your first suggestion again by removing the cartridges one at a time. .Each time it came back as not recognized. I then replaced them all and it then came back as if it recognized them all, but when I tried to print, the B200 message came back. I tried the same procedure again and instead of trying to print, I tried a nozzle check. It worked. It then ask to do a print check and it printed one. I then printed a document and a photo, so it seems to have worked with your suggestions and I would like to thank you for your help.

I'm glad to hear that it works again. Partly at least through my guidance, I hope.

Thank you for making good use of the advisory resources of JustAnswer.com.

I hope that your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.