Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I can no longer print from my iMac on to my Pixma Pro-10

I can no longer print from my iMac on to my Pixma Pro-10 printer since I updated iMac to Sierra. The printer will print a test sheet, but on any photo printing the photo paper comes out blank.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Please follow the steps below to reset the printing system from the computer and then, re add the printer once more. Let me know, how it goes for you.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already done that twice
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Do you have reinstalled the printer or added it from the Printer and scanner window ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Do you have restarted the computer and printer, after re-adding the printer ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have added it from the window on my Mac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Do you use an USB cable for connecting the printer to the computer ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

OK, reset the printing system once more, then disconnect the USB cable of the printer from the computer. Restart the computer, reconnect the printer to the computer, the printer should automatically reinstall, check that on the printer and scanner window and let me know, what happens.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
O.K.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that's done. Thank you. I'll try to print again and let you know what happens.No, sorry. I tried to print as usual and the photo paper goes through but completely blank. The printer resume button doesn't blink orange, so it obviously thinks it has printed something!!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it said 'filter failed' again so nothing has changed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you suggest anything else?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry you couldn't help me.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, I am out of ideas and as I researched about the problem, it seems the problem is very common with this version Mac and may caused due to some bug. Anyway, I will open the question for other experts.

Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with this issue. This is a known issue between some older printer Canon models and the latest Mac OS Sierra version. Canon and Apple are still trying to fix this issue. For now, please try some solutions below; it may work:

Solution #1:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then click on Sharing.
  2. Do one of the followings:
    • If the Computer Name field is blank, enter a name for your computer, anything you want.
    • If there is a name in the Computer Name field, rename your computer, anything you want.
    • Use a short name, like around about 8 to 10 letters.
  3. Close the Sharing window.
  4. Then check printing.
  5. If that does not work, click on the Apple logo menu, then System Preferences, then Printers & Scanners
    , then select your printer in the Printer list. Click Options and Supplies, if available.
    , then click on the General tab, if necessary. In the Location field, enter the exact same computer name you entered in step 2. Click OK.
  6. Check printing.
  7. If needed, restart the computer, then check printing.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please click on the Canon website below for a possible workaround:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART166610

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART166607&actp=LIST

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you for your patience,

Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience: Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.