Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I was printing and the paper jammed. I cleared the printer

I was printing and the paper jammed. I cleared the printer of the paper that was stuck and tried to print again and got error 0xF1
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Turning it on and off didn't work. It's an Epson XP-434, fairly new.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it made a different grinding noise and shows error 0xE8.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stopped the error codes, but tells me I have a paper feed error or jam when I try to print. There is no paper feed error or jam. It is also making a new, different noise.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's back to error 0xF1, but it did stop the really awful noise. I can move the carriage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The carriage can be moved manually, but it doesn't slide easily, it requires a bit of effort to move. When the printer is turned on, the carriage moves to the sides by a few millimeters, and then a shutting down noise is made, and 0xF1 is displayed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, I'm just going to see if it'll somehow work in the morning.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming, for how long have you had the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less than a year.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming, and my apologies for missing you last night, your last message didn't come through until now.

The 0xF1 is a printhead failure, which cannot be fixed on epson printers, the entire printer will have to be replaced at this point.
However based on the age you are still within the warranty period, so just call(###) ###-####to file a warranty claim, mention the 0xf1 message, and they will send you a new printer.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan