Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a fairly new Canon MG4100 series inkjet. It is

Customer Question

Hi I have a fairly new Canon MG4100 series inkjet. It is installed via wifi on my desktop and works fine and I have tried to add it to my laptop so I can use it from both. When I select print from say a Word file it shows as being there but not available. When I select printers and hardware from control panel it is not listed. When I select add a printer it can't find it. Help please. Phil
Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No its very recent addition bought about 6 months ago.
Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: laptop running W10
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this is the first time I have tried to use the printer from the laptop
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: not really, my old Lexmark worked ok via wifi from both laptop and desktop
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is your Canon printer currently printing fine via Wi-Fi / wireless connection with your Desktop computer?

Have you tried to install the Canon printer driver / software on your laptop?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as advised previously I have installed the driver and reset the connection to my router.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also as advised previously the printer works fine via wifi with the desktop.

I'm sorry. You said previously, you've tried to use the option Add a printer on your laptop. Do you mean you did uninstall the Canon driver program, then reinstall it by using the Canon printer driver / software cd disk or download?

- Also, you just said you reset the connection to your router, do you mean re-set up the Wi-Fi / wireless setting on the printer?

- And/or have you tried to disconnect the power cord from the modem / router device for about 5 minutes, then re-connect, then wait a few minutes and check?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have uninstalled and reinstalled driver downloaded from Canon website (no CD reader on laptop)
yes, I have followed the recommended Canon advice to connect to my router using the WPS method - it worked, the blue wifi light on the printer is on, but printer is still "offlilne. Printer appeared again on list of devices from Control Panel. Printer appears as an option when trying to print a Word file but always shown as "offline"
yes I have powered printer off and on a few times also rebooted the laptop.

Do not try connecting the printer to Wi-Fi (using WPS method) again as the printer is working via Wi-Fi with the desktop computer, so the issue is not with the printer, but with the laptop only.

- Can you click on Start -> Settings -> Network & Internet, then select option Wi-Fi (and/or Ethernet), then click on the Connected item and make sure that the option Make the PC discoverable is turned on?

- Were you able to delete all the the Canon printer(s) in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers?

- When you reinstalled the Canon printer driver / software, and selected the Wireless option when prompted during installation, did it detect / find your printer?

- If yes, after the installation is finished, when printing something, at the printing dialog window, can you select the printer's list (the dropdown list), then select each Canon printer, if available, and see if which one is able to print or not?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
agree problem is laptop
yes, the "discoverable"option is on
yes, i could (did) delete the Canon
yes, canon detected
yes, the Canon is shown on the list - as I have said "offline"Its after 11pm here - off to bed!

How many Canon printer(s) is shown in the list at the printing dialog window?

If you have a little time now, I can connect remotely to your computer and troubleshoot the issue directly and quickly for you. Otherwise, we can continue tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I don't allow remote access to my computers for security concerns.
This seems to be proving difficult for you to resolve at arms length and I have spent a lot of time often repeating what has already been done and said before.
I would like to finish this diaglogue please and have my £25 refunded as per the terms of the agreement.
I intend to get a local PC expert to come to my place and fix the problem on site as I cannot afford to waste more time on the thing.
Please will you confirm this will be done. In any case thanks for your efforts, its a shame we did not resolve the issue.
Regards. Phil.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hello Phil, I see the previous expert has left the conversation - can I be of any assistance at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks. Problem remains and I have explained I cannot waste more time on it having tried everything he suggested and my own "solutions". So I am getting a local PC expert in to come in sort it on site for me. I asked your colleague to terminate this dialogue and arrange refund of my payment as per terms of the agreement since he was unable to get a positive result. Please would you organise this for me and confirm. I appreciate the efforts that have been made - sorry it hasn't worked out.
regards. Phil Lazenby.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I am user of this site just like you, so I don't have any insight into your account, however you can contact the Customer Service department at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help for assistance.
You should see an option in the upper right corner of that page to contacting them via email, chat, or phone.

All the best,

Pete.