Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My paper jam is Photo paper, wrapped around an internal

My paper jam is Photo paper, wrapped around an internal drum, invisible from outside the machine. How do I proceed?
Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Pixma MG 4250, 3/4 years old
Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac Ios 10.11.6
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I'd just sent a request to the printer, not realising that I had run out of paper, and that there was photo paper in there.
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try turning the printer Off, then wait a half minute, then turn it On again, and wait - to see whether the printer expels the paper on its own. Probably not, if the paper is wrapped around, but it's worth one try.

Does the printer have any error indication or error code on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A 'Support Code' 1303 appears at the head of the message, which goes on "Paper is jammed in the rear side" Later it suggests that I turn off the power and "remove the paper from the transport unit on the rear side" But I can find no way to access that unit...

OK, the transport unit on the rear can be accessed this way:

Turn it Off, unplug it from the power.

turn the printer around

push the open lever (A) to open the transport unit in the rear of the printer:

https://www.canon.co.uk/Images/G0108599_tcm14-875931.png

then you may have to stand the printer up on one side, while swinging open the transport unit:

https://www.canon.co.uk/Images/G0107018_tcm14-868827.png

and hold it firmly to prevent it falling over and breaking.

Then, remove the paper, more or less as shown:

https://www.canon.co.uk/Images/G0132258_tcm14-957555.png

pulling out the paper slowly and gently, and holding the printer firmly with the other hand.

If it is wrapped around rollers, try turning the roller to 'unspool' the wound-around paper, until you can grasp it firmly and completely and pull it slowly out.

Does this answer your question, and is the problem solved? let me know by Reply To Expert. I will help further as needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. The problem was resolved with your first advice at the third attempt. I will retain your advice on how to access the transport unit. Useful. Many thanks for your help. BOB

Good! glad to hear it, Bob. Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thanks, ***** ***** a great day.