Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

Ive got a cannon pixma printer MG6350. It suddenly stopped

Hello ive got a cannon pixma printer MG6350 . It suddenly stopped working yesterday , I changed the fuse and it hasn't done anything . All its saying is error has occurred the , turn off the printer, printer needs repair .
It also says support code b200
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Sorry Richard I didn't get back to you, iam doing night shifts .
Anyway I tried what you asked me to the printer does come on but I have a blank printer screen .
Richard iam starting work again so will not be available until tomorrow , once I again iam sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello Richard
The printer doesn't even switch on , tried different plug sockets and the plug has got a new fuse in it but still no luck .The printer has been unplugged for 2 days . The printer is only 3 years old and doesn't have a heavy use . Ive never had a problem with it before , this is the first time I have had problems with it .
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

thanks,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet

wait 5 minutes

press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds

keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello Richard
No luck , it looks like a Internal hardware failure . Ive tried what you have asked me to do and nothing works. Least I know not to waste my time trying to repair it. A new printer it looks. Once again thankyou for your assistance.