Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I live in a rented flat and (unknown to me) the toilet was

Customer Question

I live in a rented flat and (unknown to me) the toilet was leaking. I eventually discovered the leak and informed the letting agency and a plumber was sent to fix it. After this I received a massive water bill for the period during which the leak was undiscovered c£200 more than I anticipated (particularly scary as I was aliving alone for much of the period in question as my wife was abroad)
I wrote to the letting agent, asking for some share of the liabilty and in response have received a very sarcastic letter from the landlord saying that I should have noticed the leak earlier and that he's only liable for c£20 of the bill (between me informing the agent and the end of the month. He suggested that this offer was generous as he has been a reliable customer of the agent and it had cost him more than £18 to do the calculations.
This seems unfair - do I have any legal recourse??
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

How long did it take you to notice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know exactly - it was possibly leaking for up to 3 months before I discovered it (my water bills to Nov suggests that it wasn't leaking prior to this)

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Ok. But wasn't there are physical evidence?