Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I have served notice on a tenancy at will. I served it in writing

Customer Question

I have served notice on a tenancy at will. I served it in writing approx 3 weeks before departing and verbally to a company director a week before departure. They have tried to say I did not give written notice, however, I deliberately sent it with a rent cheque for another business I own and that has cleared our bank, confirming they received the envelope with the notice letter. They have quoted section 2 of the law of property (miscellaneous provisions) act 1989 as the basis to continue to pursue me for rent for the property. Where do I stand please? Jeff
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I liable for the rent or have I correctly served notice on my tenancy at will

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I cannot see on what basis they are quoting
that section of that act. Notice does not have to be signed by both
parties if that is what they are alleging. I would not worry about what they are quoting, they appear to have read too many of the wrong law books.

I do not know what notice you had to give.
But, as it was a tenancy at will, I presumably was one, two or three months.

If the rent is under £5000 in total, and they
continue to pursue you put the money, this is one that I would be defending in
court and letting a judge decide whether I was responsible for the rent or not
and whether I had given adequate notice. It is always worthwhile sending notice
recorded delivery. Of course, expect them to say that the cheque was in
envelope on its own, and it will then be for the judge to decide which version
of events, yours or theirs, he prefers.

It might be worthwhile getting a solicitor to
write to them in the same terms. I would also let them have a further copy of
the notice which you served back then

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be
online and off-line

Please dont forget to positively rate my
answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow
up any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it positively, then
the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that
you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask me for further info
before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and
answer.

The thread remains open. Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a commercial rent at £16,000 per month + vat. The tenancy at will required no notice on either side just the requirement to "communicate my desire to do so" which I did in writing, which they deny receiving, and verbally which they cannot deny. Is verbal notice good enough given that no notice period is required by either side which has been confirmed by their solicitors.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

If no notice period is specified, then it
comes down to what is reasonable in the circumstances, and that would be
between one and three months. It is most unusual for a £16,000 per month rent
to be done by way of tenancy will. It appears from what you have just said that there is no notice period, and that you could simply give them a letter and walk out. I find that very strange and almost unbelievable.

This is not a disposition of the property. It
is a determination of the tenancy. In my opionon s2 LPMPA doest apply

If the tenancy agreement, such as it is (clearly
defective in many ways) does not provide for notice to be in writing, then, to
my mind, verbal notice is good enough, but in any event, you did give it in
writing. I presume that you kept a copy. Although expect them to say that you
wrote it sometime after the event. It would seem unusual to vacate a property
with such a large monthly rent and to rely on the verbal notice.

I fin

If they continue to pursue it, you are faced
with defending their action in court

Can I help further?

online and off-line

Please
dont forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for free. If
you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for
my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason the tenancy was so short is because the site is being demolished next month and the tenancy at will was for the last 2 years but the owners were unsure when they would want people to vacate after they had sold the site. we new we would have to vacate some time this year and did so at the end of August. They have since served notice of 2 weeks and 2 days for all occupants of the site to vacate as of the 21st of December 2012. I had been there on a full lease until it expired at the end of 2009 and the site was under planning review then so the following years have been on an unwritten and therefore unsigned tenancy at will with no notice required by either side.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I think this would have been better dealt with by deed of variation of the original lease because all the terms in their would then still have applied. It is obviously too late now.

Can I help further?