Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

hi, Over 12 months ago i purchased a house, i had my ex-girlfriend

Customer Question

hi, Over 12 months ago i purchased a house, i had my ex-girlfriend put on the mortgage. I paid for all the deposit/solicitors fees/Home Insurance/Life insurance/Mortgage Repayments. She hasn't put one penny into the house. Where do i stand on getting her off the mortgage? even though i'm not happy about it i did get her to agree for me to pay her £2000 to take her off the mortgage if needs be. Whats my best option to do?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
How long have you been together?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we were together for 24months

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the house is worth 121,000 I paid £9000 deposit and i have paid 15 monthly payments of £521

Have you asked the mortgage company if they will release her from the mortgage?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no haven't spoken to then as i didn't know the best route to go down so i wanted advice what the best thing to do is..

How much do you owe the mortgage company?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, the mortgage value was 90,000 i paid 9,000 =81,000 mortgage.The total mortgage repayment is 132.850 and i have paid 17 payments of £521.39 totalling £8863.63 already paid off

How has the value gone up so much in such a short time?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we had the house accepted for 92,000 but when santander surveyed the house they valued it at 121,000

The value of the house is what you can sell it for - so you need to get an estate agent to value it.
It is also likely that you have paid little if anything off the mortgage - in the early years most of the monthly repayment is taken up in interest.
You need to find the current value and the amount currently outstanding on the mortgage.
That will tell you what the actual equity is and whether paying your ex £2000 is a good deal or not.
Then you need to contact the Mortgage company and fill the forms in to see if they will release your ex from the mortgage or not.
Claire