How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I repossessed a commercial garage premises with bailiff on

Customer Question

I repossessed a commercial garage premises with bailiff on 21st Dec 2012 padlocks were changed but the tenant had a remote fob to open a shutter door, they gained entry and the police would not do anything, the same day they paid a rent payment after repossession, they still owe other quarter rents. The bailiff says they are tresspassing but police turn a blind eye. The ex tenant has now removed our padlocks and fitted theirs. Where do we stand in getting them out, can I just change the locks again and inform the police of them breaking and entering , they had 5 working days to remove their items but have ignored this.
Please advise
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Please explain how they removed the locks. Can you put new locks on in addition to theirs?

Dod you put notices on the property saying that you had taken possession?

What kind of tenancy do they have?

I need full background please. I will be online and offline today

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


The tenancy was for six years from Feb 1st 2004 .

The bailiff fixed repossession notices near each of our padlock as well as the roller shutter door.

The tenancy was a sub lease On holdover, we hold the head lease.

Our pad locks were removed by a saw.

I have been told this is criminal damage, breaking and entering and should be the subject of Police prosecution.

The bailiff states we still have legal possession.

I need to make sure what we can do to get these undesirables out.

The bailiff informed them they had 5 working days to remove their equipment and vehicles. They have ignored this.

Please advise.




Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Once you have taken possession, (which appears to be the case) then you can force entry and charge them for the repairs.

Technically, cutting their lock off is also criminal damage , so you need to make a different arrangement to get in.. I would certainly suggest attending with the police .

Them cutting your lock off is indeed criminal damage and this is a police matter. If the police are not interested, you should force the issue and speak to a senior officer if needed.

. Can I help further?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions