Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hi, my ex husband owes my dad 20K. My ex has re-married and

Customer Question

Hi, my ex husband owes my dad 20K. My ex has re-married and his new wife owns a property (in her name only). can i put a charge on her property as surely this is classed as a marital asset?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

If the property is in the sole name of his new wife, I'm afraid it is not legally possible to register a Charge against it.

This is because a Charge can only be placed on a Property if that property is legally owned by the debtor (your ex husband). Te fact that it is the "marital home" is irrelevant I'm sorry to say.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but if I hope I have answered your question.

Kind Regards

Andy M

Hi again,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Andy M