Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

What are the limits and restrictions regarding "pull behind"

Customer Question

What are the limits and restrictions regarding "pull behind" motorcycle trailers
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am considering purchasing a trailer to pull behind my Harley Davidson motorcycle. On a blog that I recently viewed, it was suggested that UK legislation imposes limits on certain aspects of the trailer and how it is used, for example, a maximum width of the trailer, maximum carrying capacity, speed at which it can be driven, etcetera.

I would be grateful if you could clarify the above and any other relevant points.

Paul
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
There are restrictions upon trailers

If the towing vehicle weights 3500kg or less then the restrictions are 7m in length and 2.55m in width.

If it weighs more then 12m in length, 2.55 m in width, 18 m in length and a maximum overhang of load from read of trailer of 3.05m. Obviously these measurements are unlikely to be relevant.

There are also restrictions upon weight that depends on whether or not the trailer has brakes. For a trailer with no brakes the maximum weight or half the towing vehicles kerb weight is 750kg. If it has brakes then its 3500kg.

There are no legal requirements upon height but anything greater than 3m high should be accompanied by a notice giving the height details. Again, this is mostly for commercial use.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Unfortunately, the above does not answer my question. I specifically enquired about trailers that are pulled behind motorcycles and therefore the above dimensions and max weights are completely unrealistic. In addition, there was no reference to max permitted speed.

Please try again

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Im afraid I won't be able to help any more.

Opting out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Please answer the question asked. I specifically wish to know about the legal restrictions on a trailer pulled behind a motorcycle. In particular max dimensions, max load, max permitted speed, etc
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
I will help you with this.

The rules governing the use of trailers behind motorcycles is set out in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. As far as motorcycle trailers towed behind a motorcycle are concerned the law is basically:-

The towing motorcycle must exceed 125 cc engine capacity.
The trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1.00m
The distance between the rear axle and the rearmost part of the trailer must not exceed 2.5m.
The motorcycle must be clearly and indelibly marked with it’s kerbside weight.
The trailer must be clearly and indelibly marked with it’s unladen weight.
When the trailer is loaded it must weigh no more than 150 kilograms or two-thirds of the kerbside weight of the motorcycle - whichever is lighter.

The UK speed limit is 60 mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 50 mph on all other roads unless a lesser limit is in force.
Experience: 30 years experience in property law.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's all I need. Thanks
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome.