Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

hi hopefully you can help im looking at renting a 2 bed property

Customer Question

hi hopefully you can help im looking at renting a 2 bed property in devon but i dont earn enough and cant get a guarantor can my mum be a joint tenent with me even tho she wont be living with me and she is a tenant on another rental agreemant.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Can your mum not be your guarantor|?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no as they are not homeowners and the estate agents im going through require a guarantor to be a homwowner.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hi Amie

There are two problems with your mother being a tenant but not living there:

1. She is likely to be in breach of the tenancy agreement by being absent from the property.

2. She is unlikely to be able to fulfill her obligations under the tenancy agreement if she is not living there.

You can ask whether this arrangement is possible but I think its unlikely to be acceptable to the Landlord.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes