Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

my granddaughter 16 and grandson 8 are forced to share a bedroom

Customer Question

my granddaughter 16 and grandson 8 are forced to share a bedroom in a 2 bed rented property, The other bedroom is occupied by their mother and partner. despite continuing efforts to request a 3 bedroom property no housing assistance has been given. This has disrupted the family and is detrimental to my grand children especially considering that my granddaughter is well passed puberty stage. can teh family unit insist on rehousing?
Expert:  WendyW-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they have been waiting for some time. waiting a few moer days is not a problem

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Have they considered renting in the private sector?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Their joiint incomes do not reach the commercial levels needed unfortunately. which is why they need to stay on the housing list . they are with Circle Anglia in Bishop Stortford

Have they contacted their local Housing Aid office?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not sure who you mean . They are of course trying though the housing asociation to get a 3 bed i/o their 2 bed. The system is such that they are allocated points and if they have the maximum points they can have a good chance to have their "bids" on other properties accepted. unfortunately they do not have the highest points for reasons that they are a couple in a relationship both earning money and not on benefit , nor drug dependent nor with criminal record. Thus they are not able to move. As far as i am aware the housing aid officer is the one who allocates the points. they have even suggested that they try for housing in other areas miles away from their families, schools, friends etc and from an area where they have always lived.

I meant your local housing support - different areas have different systems - your seems to be this one
http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=10305
They should be able to help your daughter maximise her points allocation and consider what options there are.
There may also be some properties released as a result of the so called "bedroom tax"
Claire