Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

As a council tenant what can be done about a dirty neighbour

Customer Question

As a council tenant what can be done about a dirty neighbour whose home can be smelled outside
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

What does it smell of ? Is this cannabis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No just incontiness and rubbish in garden has drinking and smoking problem often comes outside without clothes alsoc and covered with excrement at times and comes to the door calling cat at night shouting smell makes people heavewhenthey come to my door I live in a ground floor flat , people upstairs has complained of the smell, have reported to council asked if I can leave but evidently I am adequately housed, I have told coucilors Lines but nothing seems to be done about it. It is becoming unbearable.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Its not something that would give rise to a need to rehouse you.

It would seem to be a nuisancing issue for Environmental Health. If there is an odour nuisance then thats a matter for EH to inspect and issue against him if necessary.

There are environmental offences that are apparent immediately from what you have said.

Also, the anti social behaviour team at the council might well be willing to act against him on this basis.

Obviously you are free to leave but you would have to pay private rents elsewhere if they will not rehouse you.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can eh help, I was satisfied with the answer and I thank you but as I am not at work but having sick notes in cannot afford to tip you the 33£ was paid by a friend thro their I pad Thanks again kevin
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
No, don't worry, there's no need to pay any more.

All the best.