Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I am in the process of renovating the kitchen in a studio

Customer Question

I am in the process of renovating the kitchen in a studio apartment in a 1920's/30's block in SW London. The block is owned by one company and managed, on their behalf, by another. The freeholders also own the majority of flats in the block. I pay approximately £160 PCM in service charges which includes water rates, heating and hot water. My flat and that next door were once one flat but divided into two approximately 40 years ago, prior to the purchase of the block by the current freeholders. I have been in the flat approximately 7 years.
In the process of the renovation I noticed that the cold water pipes that supply the kitchen were the same as those supplying the bathroom in the next room and the managing agents have now confirmed that they believe the kitchen supply to be '99%' certain to coming from the communal tanks on the roof of the block rather than from the mains supply. I obviously would like the supply to the kitchen changed to fresh, mains water and believe that the freeholders should pay for this. I also believe they should refund the part of the service charges that relate to fresh water supply and offer some compensation for the uncertainty and worry around potential health-risks and for the money and inconvenience involved in having to live out of my home while I have no access to fresh water.
I have been out of my flat for a couple of weeks now and have been staying with family and in a hotel on the occasional night.
Do you believe I have grounds for a genuine (ie: non-vexatious) claim?

Regards,

Mark
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

What does the lease say about your obligation to pay the service charge?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I will have to dig out the lease document (I do have it) and go through the details. I'll do this first thing tomorrow.

Many Thanks,

Mark

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ