Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello, myself and 20 other people have been given notice to

Customer Question

Hello, myself and 20 other people have been given notice to leave the farm where we have horses stabled. Can the farmer just do this and what are our rights.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Verbal only. We each pay £20 per week per horse for stabling and grazing and have been doing for the last two years.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but they can give notice then.

If you have no specific lease period then there is no reason that notice cannot be given I'm afraid.

He does need to give reasonable notice. If you only pay weekly then, in principle, there is only a need for one week's notice although probably a minimum of 14 days would be required and 28 days would be more reasonable.

However, they can give notice.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FORJOMO1972 if we refuse to move would he have to serve each and every individual with eviction notices etc and do we have any rights to fight this in court
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Not if this is a commercial rent for the purposes of keeping horses.

He just has to give you notice in writing.

And you don't have grounds to fight the eviction on this basis I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972 this is not commercial rent. Don't even think farmer is even declaring it as all cash in hand. No receipts. I now get if can give up notice but what would happen if we refuse to move. How would he evict us. You just can't turn horses out on the road.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
He does have to give notice to everybody with whom he is in contract but he can do that by just writing to you all.

This is a commercial rent. Its certainly not a residential contract.

If you don't remove the horses upon expiry of reasonable notice then he could turn them out although there would probably be animal welfare offences in that.

Probably he would just refuse to stable them and keep them on boundary land.