Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Family members have lived in my house since 1985. We never

Customer Question

Family members have lived in my house since 1985. We never had a tenancy agreement. They have paid me £250 a month since 1991, and I now want to raise this to £500 a month.

Are they sitting tenants with rights regarding occupancy and rent restrictions ?

Mark Rosen
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I worked overseas and gave family members permission to live in my house whilst I was abroad, and for this they gave me a contribution of £125 a month towards overheads. The Inland Revenue was informed of this arrangement, and they advised me that this small contribution wouldn't be subject to UK tax.

In 1988 I notified them I would return to live in the UK in 1990 and I wanted them to move out of the house by then. I repeated the request in 1989, and again in 1990 on my return to the UK. They pleaded for more time because of sickness and they wanted time to find another home. In 1991 I wrote to them giving them 6 months notice, and again they asked for more time. In 1991 I raised their contribution to £250 a month, and they still occupy my house.

I now want to raise the rent to £500 a month (I'm advised by local estate agents that £700 - £750 is what I could expect on the open market for long-term rent , not students), and I want a tenancy agreement. I suspect they will now claim to be sitting tenants with right of occupancy and controlled rent.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

This isnt my area so I will opt out for another expert. No need to do anything as it is now open to all experts

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, please continue the search - find someone who is qualified to answer my questions please.

Mark Rosen

Hello Mark,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.