Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Resident Landlord Agreement?

Customer Question

We plan to rent our annexe to a tenant and have been advised we need a Resident Landlord Tenancy Agreement as there is an adjoining door to our house. The door will be lockable both sides. How does this agreement differ from the standard AST? Thank you Rachel

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

A resident landlord tenancy agreement is used where you share amenities with a tenant.

An AST is for a property that is exclusively occupied by the tenants.

Under a resident landlord agreement you occupy part of the property as a licensee and you have far fewer rights but also fewer obligations.

You will find quite a good article on the point here

http://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/tenancy-agreement

But basically if a tenant will share amenities with you then this is a RLTA situation. If its a self contained annexe then its an AST.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your answer but I am still confused because the annexe is totally self contained and we will not be sharing any amenities but it happens to be part of the same building with an adjoining door. One lettings Agent advised an AST and the other advised a Resident Landlord agreement. I dont want to do the wrong thing. I look forward to your reply.

rachel

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Does the annexe have a separate entrance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. It has a totally separate entrance. It also has an adjoining internal door which links to the main house.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
If there is a separate entrance and the flat is totally self contained with a lockable door between you then you should be using an AST.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Thank you.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
No problem. All the best.