ClaireD
ClaireD, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a specialist property lawyer dealing in all aspects of residential and commercial property with 14 years experience
13754130

I want to know who now owns the house ( divided into flats)

I want to know who now owns the house ( divided into flats) that changed hands without prior notice to the tenants.
Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.
If the sale was only recently completed it may not yet be registered and the best thing to do is to write to the previous freeholder for the name of the new freeholder and confirmation that the freehold has changed hands without following the correct statutory notification to qualifying leaseholders.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apparently, the exchange took place on February 13th but still, the name I received from the Land Registry was wrong because I know my ex landlords name.

Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.

The Land Registry can tell you when the registration took place of the new name, even if it is wrong. There are exceptions, but the landlord may have put it into his own company name. Do you have a copy of the freehold title? You can see the name of the registered proprietor and in front of the name in brackets, is the registration date.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I downloaded the basic doc - name & address etc but it seems to have disappeared from my computer but I have the name of the supposed new owner.

Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what basic doc you mean. It would have to be the freehold title that you looked at. I would however suggest that you contact both your old landlord and the new landlord. If the old landlord has not followed the procedure, then they have committed a criminal offence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already ASKED my old landlord but wouldn't tell me the new ones name, just referred me to the property management people who are now dealing with the house. Therefore, I cannot contact the new landlord as nobody will give me his name!!! I came onto this website in the hope that somebody could actually help me find this out but obviously you can't.

Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.
I can tell you exactly what you need to do, if the property is registered with the current registered proprietor. Otherwise, you will need to wait for it to be registered. If you pay ground rent, you do not have to pay any until you are notified of the new owner in any event.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not pay ground rent. The registered owners name I received seemed to be up to date when I enquired. My problem is not KNOWING who is right - the Land Registry or the bloke who seems to know because he works for the maintenence side of things! If you cannot help me find out who owns this property, then take my eleven quid but please just be up front about it. Sorry but I'm going nuts here because I've heard that it's possible that the new landlord, according to the worker, is a rogue landlord.

Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.
The land registry entries will show the legal name of the new owner. The chap you spoke to may know the individual who owns the company. Does the landlord deal with maintenance and take service charges then. We are not a rogue site. We don't take money unless we help. I just need to know your exact concerns to be able to assist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I'm sorry if I'm coming across a tad hostile but I want to tear my hair out right now! This seems to me to be a weird situation. Apparently this 'phantom' landlord owns many, many properties. He has one estate agent dealing with lettings & problems, then they tell another estate agent/ whatever to do the maintenance - I don't quite get it but that's how it is. Someone needs something doing to their property, they go to one, then they tell the other what to do!!

Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.
Ok. That's fine. So you are a tenant? If so you don't have to pay any rent until you have been told the new landlord's name and address for service. If they fail to maintain you can take action in the court or through the council. There are options.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I'm a tenant of over nine years in this property but my rent goes out automatically each week - I'm a pensioner & receive LHA. I think I will phone my old landlord & DEMAND the name of the new one - I think I deserve to know that for my peace of mind. Thank you for your help Claire - I suppose I just wanted someone to do it for me.

Expert:  ClaireD replied 3 years ago.
They should send a rent authority as well. Ask for the name of his solicitor . If you can suspend your rent payments until you receive the information on the new landlord.
ClaireD, Solicitor
Experience: I am a specialist property lawyer dealing in all aspects of residential and commercial property with 14 years experience