wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

What can legally take place on a town or village green? I

Customer Question

What can legally take place on a town or village green? I am the owner of some land which is likely to be registered as one - IF the land is registered as one - what can actually take place on the land; is the use restricted ONLY to the locals - or could, perhaps 1000 people be able to turn up and use the land for recreational purposes?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.
Hello. This is my area. If the green is registered, it is more a case of what you can't do. For example, you can't drive over it, dig into it, lay anything on it or damage it in any way. To do so is a criminal offence. What constitutes damage and interference is a subjective matter. For example, driving a vintage car on for a village show probably will be seen as using the green for village recreational purposes, as would putting in a small picket fence, or football goals etc.

If 1,000 people turn up, depending on what they do, it is perfectly lawful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi so in theory we could make the locals aware that we (landowners) will be fully ready to promote some events which will bring a lot of people to the area to use the land ( perhaps an organised run around or something?
It's your land - so yes, provided it wouldn't damage the green if it is given protected status. Of course, anyone could do this if it becomes village green because it is then there for public use.