Thank you for your response. Answers to your questions below:
1. The deposit was split 50:50 as it was a joint tenancy.
2. The previous tenant moved out very suddenly in April 2011, weeks before the end of the original joint tenancy agreement leaving a range of unpaid bills. The tenancy agreement stipulated that it would be down to the remaining party to repay the relevant share of the deposit amount if one or other party moved out of the property. The overall deposit amount has always remained with the letting agency.
Therefore, in the circumstances, as I remained in the property and took out a sole tenancy agreement, it was left to me to repay the previous tenant her 50% (minus deductions for outstanding bills) of the deposit amount from the original joint tenancy agreement we both signed.
The previous joint tenant refused to answer any email so eventually I agreed with the letting agency that I would pay her share of the deposit into their account and she could collect it from them. This was done on 12th September 2011 where the funds have remained.
3. In total, the letting agent now holds the following monies:
1. Full deposit for the current tenancy agreement.
2. £920.81 from the previous joint tenancy agreement (ex joint tenants share of the deposit).