wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

how high do leylandii trees have to be. whats the legal requirement,

Customer Question

how high do leylandii trees have to be. what's the legal requirement, they are taking all the light from my garden!
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. There's no rule as to the height, but if they are so high they are spoiling your use and enjoyment of your garden, you can complain to your local council under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003. This contains specific rules on leylandii. First, you need to complain to the neighbour and ask them to cut the trees so you get light back. You should put the request in writing, but very politely. If they refuse or ignore you, you can then ask your local council to investigate. You'll need to prove you've tried to resolve matters yourself, and failed. If the council agrees that the height is affecting your own property, they can issue a notice on the owner to cut the trees to a more acceptable height. If they continue to refuse, the council can fine them £1,000. Hope this helps!
wingrovebuyer : Hello. I note you have rated Poor Service. I'm confused by this, and would like to see if I can improve things?