Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

My letting agency is demanding a tenancy renewal fee of £160

Customer Question

My letting agency is demanding a tenancy renewal fee of £160 per person for a 6 month shorthold tenancy agreement. Is there any means of avoiding, or reducing these fees as they are required for each tenant in a 3 person household every 6 months?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I moved in to a property in Hoxton, London, 2 weeks ago. I was previously in a guardian-ship property, therefore didn't have tenancy rights, and was given a 2 week eviction notice as the whole street had been sold. I needed a house fast, and knew of a co-worker who was looking to have a tenant move in to a spare room so that the rent was able to be paid in full each month. I accepted a £655 room per month. I had to pay a £160 admin fee to the agency, as well as a £50 fee to have a financial guarantor added to my file post-referencing with homelet. Now, having been given my contract for the house, 2 weeks after moving in. It states each tenant must pay £160 for a renewal of the contract every 6 months. Can the agency legally do this?

There are other fees they are trying to impose as well for an inventory of the contents, when the contract states nothing of a fee being owed unless we miss an appointment for this inventory.

Matthew.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

If you didn't get this before moving in and were not aware of it they cannot enforce it BUT they can get the landlord to give you notice to quit.

It then comes down between them and the LL

Does that answer
the question?

I am happy to
answer specific points that you raise.

Can I assist
further?

Please bear with
me today because I will be online and off-line as I am most days and weekends.

Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.