Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can the landlord change the property lock one day before tenancy

Customer Question

Can the landlord change the property lock one day before tenancy terminated
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've been away ,just came back to the flat today found out the lock has been changed ,and my rent is paid up to date and the police officer was involve in the case was supporting the landlord to kick me out of the property .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

How long have you been away?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

three days

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

What type of contract are you on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Assured short hold tenancy agreement of one year

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

A landlord should not change the locks without giving you a key and allowing you access unless he has a court order.

I presume there wasn’t a court order so this would amount to an unlawful eviction.

The reason the police officer told you to go though was probably to prevent a breach of the peace. He could have arrested the landlord. Unlawful eviction is a criminal offence. However, the police often refuse to become involved because they are too busy meditating domestic squabbles and neighbour disputes to deal with any real crime.

You can seek an injunction to get back into the flat and, indeed, claim against the landlord on the facts that you present here.

Even if you were an overstayer, he cannot just change the locks. He has to get a court order to evict you.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.