Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

i live on the gable end of a quasi row of houses and my neighbours

Customer Question

i live on the gable end of a quasi row of houses and my neighbours children contantly leave my back gate open risking my dog getting out and being run over not only this they are rude and swear at me when i ask them nicely not to do this. i feel i have no privacy and the children are now using this entrance as their main way in their home what are my legal rights.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Are you saying they actually enter into your property to get out onto the street?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello Jo the neighbours enter my back garden through the closed gated area to actually walk through my garden property to come out onto the street but this is a back entrance they have a front private path to get onto the street as i also do.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Steve

Do they have a right to enter your property in this way?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they are allowed reasonable acsess but this is where i need to know how much is reasonable, i cant leave my back door open for fresh air in spring/summer as i dont feel safe in doing this with anybody just walking past my back door, if i have a barbeque with family they often just walk in through my garden with their friends i have asked the family to be considerate as they can use their front entrance to their property.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
This is really a property question then which is not really my area.

I have contacted some others to look at this for you.
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.
My colleague has asked me to look at this question for you. Please be aware that my availiability today is rather limited due the bank holiday but I will respond to you as quickly as I can.

Could you confirm whether the neighbours have a right of way over your garden or is the right informal only?