wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

can I access my neighbours property to unblock my drain

Customer Question

can I access my neighbour's property to unblock my drain
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Have you asked? Are they denying you access?
JACUSTOMER-uvssatpq- : Yes
wingrovebuyer : Thanks. Well, if it is for cleaning drains (maintenance) you do have a right to enter their property to do this, under the Access to Nieghbouring Land Act 1992. This allows you a statutory right to enter to do maintenance and repair works to your property. You should give them notice of your intention to enter under the Act and ensure you don't cause any damage or mess when you do. If ey still deny access, you can sue them.
wingrovebuyer : If you tell them this, I expect they will grudgingly allow access.
wingrovebuyer : Hello, if I've answered your question to your satisfaction, can you please leave a rating, or JA will keep your money but won't pay me for helping you. Thanks!