Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I live in a static caravan, which I own. I am thinking of selling

Customer Question

I live in a static caravan, which I own. I am thinking of selling but have learned - this was never pointed out to me at the time of purchase or I would never have bought, that I am expected to sell it back to the park owner. To do this I have to vacate the van and remove all my possessions, only then, will I be told how much I will receive. Is this legal? For a start, I cannot afford to move elsewhere without the proceeds of the sale at my disposal, I get a government pension with no other income and my savings are minimal. Also the site fees are paid up to next March and I would not receive any refund but the new owner would be required to pay them again.

Could you please advise, I understand that new legislation came into force in April of this year regarding static caravans but I cannot find any information anywhere.

Jean Hickmott
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

I'll have a look at the law - but do you have an agreement to this effect with the park?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I signed a Site Agreement several weeks after I moved into my caravan and I was never given a copy. As I said, I was never made aware of the 'sell back', at the time of purchase. It has only been brought to my attention since I mentioned selling. What concerns me is that the park owner can offer any ridiculous price and I have no choice but to take it, especially as I would have had to move out before any offer is made.

I am aware that quite a number of parks have this policy in place. What I would like to know is, is it legal? Surely there must be some regulations -laws in place to protect the vendor. I am getting conflicting advice from various parties and would like to know exactly what my legal rights are, that is why I contacted Just Answer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Received an email saying you had responded to my latest request for mmore information, but I cannot access it!