wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi, I currently own a property with a small unit attached

Customer Question

I currently own a property with a small unit attached to it. Originally, both properties were one unit, however they were then separated into two, one a house (my property) and one sold as a storage facility. The man who owns this is now wanting to sell this property and I am concerned this could affect the value of my property as I am wanting to sell in the next two years to move up the property ladder.

Do I have any legal rights over what the unit can be built into? The adjoining wall is onto my kitchen so any smells/noise would come straight through into my house with it not being the original wall. I am concerned about how this will affect my property, please help?!
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Do you have access to your deeds?
JACUSTOMER-o96sccfq- : Yes I have the deeds
wingrovebuyer : Ok, thanks. It is possible that when the property was split into units, restrictive covenants as to use were imposed. Your property may benefit from these covenants which may entitle you to have a way in what use next door is put to. Are you able to check the documents for such covenants for me?
JACUSTOMER-o96sccfq- : From what I can see there states no restrictions to the adjoining property, the only details provided are those of my property, does this mean I have no say in what can happen to the property?
JACUSTOMER-o96sccfq- : The 'expert' has not replied to answer my questions. As you can see from above the conversation has not provided me with any advice on what my options are, I was just told to look at my deeds. If this service has earned the expert my £22 fee then I am in the wrong job! Poor service, will not be using again or recommending to others