Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I live in Caversham Park Village, Reading, Berkshire. Behind

Customer Question

I live in Caversham Park Village, Reading, Berkshire. Behind my property and the two houses either side there is a bit of waste land approx 24m wide by 4 m deep. Along with my neighbours No 2 and No 4, I live at No 3) we have tried to buy the land but due to my neighbour at No 2 having a and dispute with No 1 we were advised by the council not to continue. The lady at No 2 has taken land from No 1.
We then were advised by the council to try and rent the land off the developer who still owns the sub soil. We have tried again and again to contact Mr Bliss - by email, letter and phone call. He never gets back to us although on one phone call he did say he had no problem with entering a lease of the land.
Along with the neighbour at No 4 we got so fed up with waiting and still looking after the land we have pit a fence up.
We received a scrap of paper through the door this evening asking us to al the council.
What rights do we have if any?
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

I note you have opened up a second duplicate question which I presume is by accident. I will ask for the other thread to be closed and refunded to you.

Josh-2010 :

May I clarify that you have erected a fence around the land in question in concert with your neighbour at no. 4. Is that correct please?

Josh-2010 :

I note you refer to the developer owning the sub soil. Does this imply that the council is responsible for maintaining the surface or do you mean something else by this expression please?

JACUSTOMER-auhv11aj- :

WE did put the fence up in conjunction with the neighbour at No.4.

JACUSTOMER-auhv11aj- :

The council is meant to maintain the land but only come around once a year if we are lucky, the rest of the time it is us who keeps it strimmed and clean

Josh-2010 :

Thanks. On what basis is it maintained by them. Is it public space which has been adopted by the council or do the council just informally maintain it generally?