Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My friend has just taken rental of 6 months on a house and

Customer Question

My friend has just taken rental of 6 months on a house and paid 6 months rent in advance. She finds now that the property has a rat problem and wants to cancel the agreement to rent. What notice is she required ny law to give and is she entitled to the return of any of the advance rent she paid to the estate agen?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Jo,

My friend has contracted to rent this terraced house for six months and has had to pay the 6 months rent in advance to the estate agents. She now finds the property has a known history of rat infestation and wants to cancel the contract. What notice is she required to give and is she entitiled to any refund from the advance rent she paid?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can only tell you that the house has been rented through an estate agent but what type of contract she signed I cannot say.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Is this contract entitled assured shorthold tenancy agreement do you know?