Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

When an estate agent has been granted a sole agency, should

Customer Question

When an estate agent has been granted a sole agency, should he receive commission if the property owner finds his own buyer or tenant?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I'm afraid to say that nearly all Estate Agents agreements state that if any Buyer is found, during the term of their agreement that they are entitled to their commission if the Buyer proceeds and completes. ie even if the customer does the hard work and finds a Buyer, then the Agent still gets paid!

This is slightly ridiculous but that's the way they operate.

I am sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but if I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL