leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

my next door neighbour has 2 tress in his back garden - they

Customer Question

my next door neighbour has 2 tress in his back garden - they are 10 foot from my property and hand over the fence almost toughing our roof and blocking out 95% light on the side of the house - he willnot answer the door to talk what can i do?
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello - my name is Leanne and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Do you know what type of trees they are?

How far do they hang over your side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm sycamore I think hang over anything from 1 foot to 8 foot

First I would speak with the Council - they can investigate the matter for you. They can also ask your neighbour to cut back the trees.

However in terms of what else you can do - you are entitled, by law to cut back any part of the tree that overhangs your land.

That means that if it is over your side of the fence for example, you can cut back the tree to the fence line, as long as cutting it back does not kill it. By law you also have to offer back the cuttings to the owner.

But those are the two steps you can take, complain to the Council and cut back the tree yourself. Clearly anything on or overhanging your land can be cut back.

I realise this is an unpleasant situation and hope it works out. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne