leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

i have kept my horses on aplot of land for 30 years it is fenced

Customer Question

i have kept my horses on aplot of land for 30 years it is fenced in the council have now told me to move my horses as iam illegaly grazing or they will remove them do i have any rights as i have been there for so long
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello - my name is Leanne and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Who owns the land?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the council

Unless you have any form of agreement then you are then on licence. This means that the licence can be terminated by the land owner at any time. This is different if it is common land, but you have fenced off the land and this means you have no rights.

A licence can be ended by the owner and you have no right to stay. However I would raise a formal complaint with the Council and ask for it to be investigated. If they find against you then you would need to complain to the Ombudsman. They are independent of the Council and can examine what you have to say and can make recommendations to the Council where appropriate. They can be found at: www.lgo.org.uk

But this is your only legal option. As I said, if this was common land then you may have had some additional rights.

I am sorry if this may not the answer you want, but I have a duty to give you an honest answer, even if it is one you may not want to hear.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne