Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX partner my self an her 5year old

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX partner my self an her 5year old are currently living in enfield i have been living there for over six years.we are living in a one bedroom in a shared house,resently the owner of the house has given everybody 2 months notice to vacate he,s house,i have approched enfield council an have given them the notice an all relevent paper work they need,the fact the alex the five year old is not my biological child they have said that thier is nothing they can do an i am considerd a single man,currently i am working full time tho i am on a very low wage an can not afford to go private,i just wanted to no is this right what enfield council are saying,an my family will be homeless at the end of july practically,an onm the streets
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Do you or did you have a tenancy agreement?

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Are you able to respond to the above post in order that I may provide you with an answer please?

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey tom,in regards to your question, yes i do have a tenancy agreement,which is valid,but my question is more about what my local council said,i no that the landlord is going to apply for a court order which is going too make us stay in the property longer,then he will have to apply for a baliffts order, but once all that expires are the council legally obligated to re house us,bearing in mind that the council women said to me that if my partners child is not mine and my name is not on her birth cert they consider me a single man an can not re-house me thou we have been living together for over two years,we are currently living the 3 of us in a one bedroom shared house,i am working full time but can not afford a deposit hence why i went to the council for help,then for them to tell me this.we do not want to stay here for the baliffs to come to evict us.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I will answer tomorrow.

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I believe that the local authority are probably correct in regarding you as a single man if you are unmarried and your partner’s child is not legally yours.

However, obviously if it appears that your partner is going to be evicted with you then the local authority would regard her as single mother facing eviction and therefore in a his risk category.

Frankly, I would attend the local authority again but this time with your partner to attempt to get her name on the housing list rather than attending on your own attempting to get on the list yourself. Obviously you cannot claim on behalf of another (ie. your partner) so it may be that when you went to the local authority they restricted their answers to your case only and not that of your partners.

This should take care of your partner and her child in the first instance, which I presume you consider to be the most important thing in the short term. This should allow you to find some very cheap alternative accommodation in the hope that you can save up a deposit to get a place of your own again.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom