wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi When someone wants to register an interest in my property,

Customer Question

When someone wants to register an interest in my property, will I get prior notification from the land registry before the restriction is applied?

S Huyton
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Do you have anything specific in mind, such as a charge or notice?
JACUSTOMER-n74jwxy3- :

JACUSTOMER-n74jwxy3- :

H, my ex partner wants to register an in interest in my property. We split up 3 and half years ago and I moved out of the family home with our daughter (family home was in his sole name). I moved back into the house that I had purchased several years before meeting my partner (this property was rented out whilst we lived in the family home). I have since sold this property 2 years ago and now live in a another property which a sale is going through on and due to complete in a couple of weeks however my expartner is now claiming to have put an interest in this property which could jeopardise the sale of the new property which is in joint names with my new partner and I.

JACUSTOMER-n74jwxy3- :

I am not divorced due to my ex partner being quite difficult to deal with, in that he ignores letters, and I didnt have the cash to spend on rising solicitors fees etc, however once moved divorce is a priority.

JACUSTOMER-n74jwxy3- :

herefore my question is will the land registry notify me of any charge going on my property before it is put on? will I have opportunity to dispute as should it not have been the previous property that he register an interest in?

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Any application (with one exception) to amend your title register would be checked with you first. You would get notice from Land Registry,and an opportunity to object. The only exception is when the amendment is by way of Unilateral Notice. This goes on the title first, then Land Registry would let you know and give you an opportunity to object. Either way, provided your current address is that on the title register, you would have received notice of any changes. If you are concerned, you can use Land Registry's website to download a copy of your title register to check it. It's £3 and you use the Find a Property section on www.landregistry.gov.uk
wingrovebuyer : Hello. As I've answered your question, would you be kind enough to leave a rating, so JA pays me for helping you?