How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22569
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Hello, A very old tree is growing over a residents garage.

Customer Question


A very old tree is growing over a resident's garage.

Sometimes branches, sticks and other debris from this tree fall onto the roof of the garage. This has already damaged the roof to the extent that a section of covering has been removed.

Please see the two photos here:

I understand that this resident has complained to the council but has been told that nothing can be done about the problem because this is a listed tree.
(I am unclear whether the tree is on privately owned or land rented from a housing association.)

A second resident has a very similar problem with an adjacent tree growing over his garage - this time from the railway embankment. He too, has complained but Network Rail have said that this tree poses no threat to the garage.

What rights do these residents have?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

The first thing to say is that normally
you can cut off overhanging branches without notice however if there is a tree
preservation order, you cannot do it without consent of the local authority.

Any damage caused by falling branches
or debris which can be attributed to negligent maintenance is the
responsibility of whoever owns the land that the trees are on which is
something that you are going to have to establish.

Whether the trees do indeed pose a
problem comes down to evidence.

If anything falls and damages the
property, then the disadvantaged person's claim is against whoever owns the
land that the tree is on and it is for the tree land owner to take issue with
the local authority. Just because the tree is listed does not absolve the land
owner of a claim for negligence. The only difference is that if the tree is
dangerous, they have to ask the Council for consent to remove it or to remove
the overhanging branches. That is the only difference.

Does that answer your question? Can I
help any further? Can I answer any specific points?

don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread
does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

The thread
does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my service.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions