Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have come to the end of a tenancy and moved out of the rented

Customer Question

I have come to the end of a tenancy and moved out of the rented property -during the last 2 weeks someone inspected the property for any possible repairs needed before the next tenant moves in.
Since leaving the property the letting agency has informed me on further inspection of repair costs I am liable for such as replacing vinal in the kitchen and minor painting.
My question is if I refuse to agree any of these costs can they prosecute me in court or pass the so called debt to a debt recovery agency; in short am I legally bound to pay the costs of repairs now?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I originally signed a 12 month assured short hold tenancy agreement - after this initial period I have been on a month by month tenancy agreement, hope this helps in assisting your response.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I lost my connection.

Do you accept that you caused any damage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, caused by general wear and tear

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Did you pay a deposit?