Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have now left the property I was renting having given 1 months

Customer Question

I have now left the property I was renting having given 1 months notice, the tenancy was on a rolling month by month agreement after the initial 12 months had come and gone.
Despite having been advised that I only have to give 1 months notice the letting agency is now threatening to pass my details to a debt recovery agency for court action because they inserted a 2 month notice of termination and not 1.
They are stating that unless I pay the extra months rent they will hunt me down via the debt recovery agency.
In reality what can the letting agency legally do to me to get the extra months rent?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, the contract was an initial short hold tenancy running from February 4th 2011 for 12 months.

After the initial period was up it has become a rolling month by month tenancy with rent paid monthly on the same date each month namely the 10th.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you have relisted this which causes it to drop off my list.

Did you give notice and if so how long?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I gave 4 weeks notice in writing and asked for this to be acknowledged back in writing -no formal written response but an e-mail informing me 2 months notice not 1

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

What was the rent date and when did you give notice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The rent date is the 10th of the month -I gave notice on the 4th June