Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

Next door neighbour wishes to erect fence panels six feet high

Customer Question

Next door neighbour wishes to erect fence panels six feet high but my garden is only 8feet wide so the garden will be in shade for a big part of tha day.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My neighbour wants to erect a six foot
Fence in the back garden on the left side. My garden is only 8 feet wide
And will be shaded for a large part of the day .I have suggested a lower
Fence but ignored.
There is no legally binding contractual agreement here so please advise me on my rights
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

They cant erect that on the boundary without yr permission but they can have it offset by a few inches onto their side.

They can erect a fence up to 2m high without planning permission.

There is no right to light for gardens.

The only possible action might be in nuisance but to be honest I cant see any grounds.

I am sorry, I appreciate that this isntt he answer that you want but there is no point in me misleading you. I have a duty to advise you truthfully even if that is unfavourable

Does that answer the question? I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

I am offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Please bear with me each day and over weekends because I will be online and off-line each day.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.