Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

What is the limit that a builder can carry out work on a freehold

Customer Question

What is the limit that a builder can carry out work on a freehold flat without permission from the freeholders
Expert:  vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks very much for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to help you with it this morning.

The precise answer to this will depend on the terms of the lease. However, a leaseholder will typically be unrestricted with regard to matters such as changing kitchens and bathrooms, re-plastering, changing floorcoverings (although hard-floorcoverings may require consent) and cosmetic and decorative changes. In essence, there are rarely many restrictions in respect of changes to the surfaces of internal walls, ceilings and floors as well as the removal and installation of fixtures and fittings.

What tends to require freehold consent are the moving (or removal) of internal walls, replacing windows, moving doorways and changes to the exterior. In short, consent is usually required where the changes are structural in nature or affect the outside of the property.

Notwithstanding the above, all modifications that expressly require the consent of the freeholder will certainly be included within the lease and this should be reviewed before undertaking work, as leases do differ in the level of restrictions imposed.

I hope that's helpful. Please do kindly take time to rate my answer as it's an important part of the process and allows me to obtain credit for my work. Please also don't hesitate to let me know if you need any clarification on the above.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.