Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I had a picket fence between myself and my neighbour which

Customer Question

I had a picket fence between myself and my neighbour which is or was my responsibility for the up keep, the neighbour has remove the picket fence and put a six fence in place the problem is the fence is in bad shape and needs repair is it my responsibility or the neighbours ?, the neighbour bid not have my permission to remove the picket fence.

regards XXXXX XXXXX

AlexWatts2013 : My name is Alex and I will help with this. On what basis were you responsible for the old fence, was it in the deeds? Does the fence belong to the neighbour please?
JACUSTOMER-9p4xu4iw- :

yes it was in the deeds when I purchase the property that between myself and neighbour that I am responsible for the fence which was original a picket fence the neighbour has remove the concrete post and replace it with a six foot panel fence with wooden post, have they change the boundary by removing the original post and is it still down to me for the up keep for the fence when I never gave permission to remove the picket fence?

AlexWatts2013 : On what basis did they remove the old fence? Did they ask you please?
JACUSTOMER-9p4xu4iw- :

Alex I don't know why the remove the old fence and NO THEY DID ASK ME !!!

JACUSTOMER-9p4xu4iw- :

SORRY type O NO THEY DID NOT ASK ME ! PLEASE READ MESSAGES pre this one

AlexWatts2013 : Thank you. In that case if they removed the fence you are not liable for it. You are only liable for the existing fence and if they change the fence it must be of the same type. You should not be expected to maintain this larger fence. Had it not been for the fact they changed it, you would not have additional work to do. As such because they did not even consult you are not liable. You should speak, or write to them and say because they did not ask or agree with you and that they have changed the fence to one which will be more work, you are not liable. However if the fence is yours (and generally as you look at the house from the road you would own the one on the left) they should not have removed it. If the fence is theirs it should have been replaced like for like. But the bottom line is now you are not liable.
AlexWatts2013 : i hope this answers your question now and if so please be kind enough to take a moment to rate my service, otherwise if you need further information or help click reply. Alex
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.