Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Recently a new roof was installed on a block of four flats

Customer Question

Recently a new roof was installed on a block of four flats of which I am one of the Leaseholder, the charges per leaseholder is almost £16000.00 which we believe is excessive , what step should we take to ensure that the charges reflect the market price?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Did the landlord consult the leaseholders before carrying out this work please?

Customer :

Yes

Josh-2010 :

Sorry for the delay in reverting to you. Thanks. To be a little bit more specific did the landlord serve s20 notices on each of you and then conduct further consultation at each stage of tender?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We did receive information and some form of update, however instead of a quote an estimate was given for just over £14000.00, the project took six months to complete with changes of three sub-contractor and serious water damages which was put right, we then receive an invoice to be paid within twelve via DD and it was stated that its not the final bill.

I cannot understand why a contractor was given an open cheque so that they were at liberty to charge us anything they like on top of what was estimated. I have to date email the Landlord which is a housing association and voice my concern, I ask if a quantity surveyor was use so that an accurate quote could be given instead of an estimate. I am awaiting a reply

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Did the landlord serve a s20 notice on you notifying you of the works and also further notices at the tender stage and the notice of awarding of the contract?

Have you sough an alternative quote from another supplier by way of comparison?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I have not, but will proceed to do so and then get back to you

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you further. Also could you tell me if the landlord served a s20 notice on you notifying you of the works and also further notices at the tender stage and the notice of awarding of the contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe they did serve notices as we were kept inform as to the fact that their were tenders, however the original estimate was exceeded by almost £2000.00 and we were told that's not the final figure. If I had ask for work to be carried out on my property I would have ask for quotation not estimate as estimate to my understanding is like an open cheque.