Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

The long driveway to my house goes directly on to the public

Customer Question

The long driveway to my house goes directly on to the public highway. I wished to extend slightly an existing stone wall on my land towards the highway but stopping 3 metres short of the boundary to my land. My neighbour objected to the council who have now written to me to say that although they recognise I have title to the freehold land, they say it is "highway verge" although they have never maintained it, and that I cannot build without their permission which they will not give. I asked for proof of what they claim but all they do is send a map with the area shaded as "highway verge" which they tell me is all that they are required to do. What is my position please?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Can you let us have a sketch of the area and what exists and what is proposed please?

How high will this wall be? Why has the neighbour objected?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your response is irrelevent. Legal experts from my house insurance have confirmed the Council need only legally provide a copy of the Highway Dept maps to confirm their stance. Any construction on this land, although they recognise I have title, represents an illegal obstruction to the highway and its verge. What you have asked for has no bearing on this issue and I have already replied once stating that fact. Please recredit my credit card with £11

I'm very sorry you did not receive an answer to your question. I will process the refund for you and you should receive email confirmation that this has been done.

I do hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,