75100385

My neighbours back garden is about 30 cm 1foot higher than

Customer Question

My neighbour’s back garden is about 30 cm 1foot higher than my garden and the fence between us is only 4 foot, this means we are not able to enjoy any privacy. I believe that the fence is theirs but I am happy to pay for a new fence and install it next to theirs. However because their garden is higher than ours even if I put a 6-foot fence up they would still be able to look direct into our garden. Therefore would I be able to put a 7-foot fence up on my side of the garden, which would still only be 6 foot on their side. I know this seems pedantic but I do believe that that might ask me to lower the fence if it was not entirely legal.

Regards, Jago

AlexWatts2013 : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. By law you can only put up a fence that is 2 meters. Anything higher can be erected but would need planning permission.
AlexWatts2013 : I trust this fully resolves your question and if so could I invite you to take a moment to rate my service, as your feedback is important to me. If you need further information or help then please click rely. Alex
JACUSTOMER-y5mudi4x- :

Thank you for your reply, however if the fence was only 2 metres high on their side being that their garden is higher than mine and 2 mertes 30 cm high on mine would they be able to force me to reduce the hight of the fence?

AlexWatts2013 : The panels can not be more than 2m high, so you can not have it higher, even on their side without permission. Alex