Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

My commercial landlord is selling the premises. Am i legally

Customer Question

My commercial landlord is selling the premises. Am i legally obliged to serve the remainder of my lease with the new landlord? Or can I use this as an opportunity to leave without further penalty.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that the new landlord wants you in place, you are stuck until the end of the term. It might be an opportunity, if you want out to negotiate an out but other than that, things carry on as though the landlord has not changed.

I'm sorry, I appreciate this is not the answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just as i thought, but thank you anyway.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I’m sorry, I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you. I have a duty to advise you truthfully and honestly even if that answer is unfavourable.
Please don’t forget to bash the positive rating button thanks.