Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

in !999 I bought a flat below my sister, I transferred the

Customer Question

in !999 I bought a flat below my sister, I transferred the money to her bank account and she bought the flat in her name allowing her to then purchase the freehold, she then gifted the bottom flat to me , she now wants to sell her flat and the freehold, I have never really taken any notice of the lease but now understand that when the lease expires my flat belongs to my sister or the new owner. Do I have any legal claim on the freehold as it was my money that paid for the flat. Should my sister have drawn up a new lease or just used the old one which stills bears the name of the previous owner and the Local Council. Can i stop my sister selling the freehold.
Peter Eaton
peter.eaton"gmail.com
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
is she likely to deny your claim?